JDR Cable Systems Case Study
JDR Cable Systems Ltd. is a provider of bespoke subsea power cables, umbilical systems and reeler packages for a broad range of applications to the offshore energy industry. JDR has an accomplished record of meeting client expectations and a commitment to life cycle customer service which makes JDR the global partner of choice to its customers. JDR is expanding rapidly with the current business level expected to double in the next two years. Th company has international manufacturing locations in the UK, the US and the Far East.
The solutions provided by JDR Cables to its customers are complex and challenging. The solution developed involves sales, engineering design, planning, manufacturing and QA departments. Some of the components are supplied by external parties. The sensitive role that the solutions play for offshore energy companies require thorough testing of all components evidenced by certification, regulatory compliance and test documentation.
In total, a document set of some 8,000 pages is supplied to the customer to accompany each solution delivery. Full payment by customer is dependent on the satisfactory delivery of agreed documentation.
- A SharePoint based documentation management system was required to:
- Meet the rapid growth of business by increasing productivity from existing resources
- Facilitate centralised project document control through project site based collaboration
- Integrate the working of sales, design, planning, manufacturing and QA departments
- Ensure availability of correct versions of documents during entire project life cycle
- Implement fine grained access control and approval hierarchy
- Ensure availability of audit trail for all key documents and workflows
- Reuse business information across multiple systems through Enterprise Application Integration
- Manage the customer change requests to ensure design, delivery and commercial integrity
- Enable easy collation and delivery of the comprehensive document set by QA
- Enable timely payment from customers
An additional complication was the lack of senior analytical and technical resources within the IT departments.
Because of experience with previous initiatives, key employees in various departments needed to be convinced that the new initiative was different and will succeed.
ION IT was initially engaged to carry out business analysis of the requirement and present an outline of the solution to the Executive Management Team in July 2012.
An additional benefit is the improved efficiency of business processes, and the consistency of those processes across JDR’s multiple locations.
- Policies, Procedures and Processes (PPnP) governance site and workflows
- Project site for each customer product
- Material release workflows
- Master document register
- Manufacturing record book
- Proposal management system
- Packing list management system
- Issue (defect) management system
- Microsoft project server integration for time/task capture
- Timesheet system
- Extranet delivery via Box integration
Key hurdles during the journey were:
- Educating different stakeholders to accept the need for the solution
- Simplification of business processes within departments
- Reconciling differing priorities and preferences of various departments
- Selection of appropriate technologies
- Distributed development of the solution in three locations
- Effective project management keeping the EMT engaged over the project lifecycle
- Time pressures on key JDR Cables employees with conflicting requirements of the DMS project and their day to day work.
Benefits to JDR Cables:
- ION IT was able to exceed JDR Cables’ expectations by providing: • Analytical, technical and internal selling leadership
- Reliable technology selection guidance
- An evolving, scalable solution to address JDR Cables’ expansion objectives
- An innovative contribution to address issues outside application development
- An innovative methodology for fast and effective solution delivery
- Attractive economics
- Future flexibility – resources and support